I'm afraid to rough up your stuff, she said

jeudi 2 avril 2015

I was teaching a female friend to shoot a pistol last evening. She grew up shooting .22 rifles but had never fired a pistol. We started with her gun, a SCCY CPX-2 that she had bought from my wife, but she was having the same issue my wife had with it, the DAO trigger was too much.



So I switched to my VP9 and let her use my G19. The first time at the firing line she asked if she needed to rack the slide as aggressively as I'd taught her with her SCCY. I said yea, of course, that's how you always do it. But then she said she was afraid to rough up my stuff. I laughed, obviously.



When she was done with that string of fire I took the gun from her, made sure it was clear and launched it downrange about 40'. Her eyes got so big I couldn't help but laugh and told her we could go ahead and not worry about roughing up my Glock.



For the record, she took to pistol shooting like a duck to water. Her main issue is that she's cross-eyed dominant but she sure was making it work for her. I figured first time out we'd cover gun safety, basic manipulations and maybe some fairly quick strings of five shots in five seconds.



But by the time we were done I had her shooting a two-target version of El Presidente (we call it Vice Presidente) and shooting some pretty respectable failure drills. The only time she started jerking a little bit was when I had her try some double taps. We talked about it then ended on some easier drills to keep her confidence high.



Then, as her 6 year old son had sat (fairly) patiently on the shelf behind the range while all this was going on he got to put 4 mags through my wife's M&P 15-22 with a red dot on it. He did really well too and seemed to have a great time.



I just thought you all would get a kick out of her thinking she was going to hurt my 19 by racking the slide too hard.

I'm afraid to rough up your stuff, she said

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels