Dark clouds

jeudi 2 avril 2015

With every dark cloud there is a silver lining, or something like that. As with all reloaders I had my two most favorite powders. One was fast burn and the other was middle of the road. That covered most of everything I shot, plus a can or two for the magnum loads- all was well.

I had been using my two favorites for so long I never even considered using another powder. Then came today’s automatic “backorder” on any and all powder. Game changed overnight! Now it’s what can you find even at “scalper’s prices”.

Must have been about 2years ago I ordered and received five pounds of Ramshot Zip. It was my understanding it was about the same as 231, according to the burn rate charts. Like everyone else I used up all my “most favorites” prior to working up loads for the new powder. First up was the 38 Special. With 125 grain bullets good results, well not as good as the ole standby, but usable. Then the chase began-158 grain bullets. A $100 shotgun put out a better pattern, using buckshot, than I could get from a 6inch S&W Model 14! When I got what I was willing to settle for, the FPS was at 750 and a usable group. Not happy with that powder at all! Tried to trade it off, but for the most part nobody had heard of it, hence no takers.

Then I tried it in auto cases. Oh, my YES! Allow me to say that for the most part I do not load all rounds to factory specs. Three quarters to seven eighth’s would be more like it. How accurate is it? That’s a judgement call, what I’m willing to except the next shooter would just walk away and that’s O.K. My guns, my loads and my money.

Thing is, these “new powders” offer very clean burning, very low S.D.’s, good FPS in auto cases. Just what the doctor ordered for 9MM, 357Sig and 40 S&W. Had it not been for this shortage I would have never even tried it out. I’m more than willing to say good-by to yesterday’s powders and welcome the new (to me) stuff.

Dark clouds

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels