VE Day

vendredi 8 mai 2015

Just wanted to make mention that today is Victory in Europe Day. 70 years ago today Germany surrendered to the Allied powers.

Many of our fathers and grandfathers fought for that victory. I just want to make sure the day doesn't pass without our remembrance.

I heard a great interview with Stephen F. Cohen (NYU & Princeton professor Emeritus) regarding the Red Army's contribution to WWII. Russia will celebrate 'Victory Day' tomorrow (05/09). No Western leader will attend. Merkel of Germany will make an appearance Sunday.

Some of the statistics that Cohen threw out are staggering. For example: 9 out of 10 German soldiers killed in WWII died on the Eastern Front. 8 out of 10 German casualties were the result of fighting the Russians. Russia lost (estimated) 27 million citizens in the war - 14% of their population. Britain lost (IIRC) .6% of its population. The U.S. lost .4% of its population. There's a lot more facts.

This is not to denigrate the Allies contribution. I only mention it because I was unaware of the magnitude of the sacrifice made by Russia. As Churchill said: "The Russians tore the guts out of the German army". And nobody from our government will acknowledge it this weekend.

I have a podcast of the interview. I don't think I can post it. I will send it to the first one who asks for it. I'll need an email address. If anyone else wants it, make a post and someone above you - that got a copy - can send it to you.

Thanks Uncle George (surgeon) and Uncle Edgar (20yo B25 pilot) and Uncle Jack (Major AAC) and, of course, my dad (FBI).
VE Day

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels