Naked & Afraid - take home message

samedi 2 mai 2015

I enjoy watching the various survival shows. In my opinion it beats DWTS or some of the other dribble on T.V. these days. And sometimes you can pick up something useful, depending on who the host(s) is/are, or at least what 'not' to do.

If you haven't seen it, they take two people, one man and one woman and yep...they're naked. They drop them off in some forsaken jungle or desert or island and they give them a bag and they get to choose one item like a knife or machete or cup or ferro rod etc. And basically they have to tough it out for 21 days or tap out and go home.

Actually I'm enjoying the show. There are some good tips to pick up, both on what to do and definitely some what not to do.

A lot of times on these types of forums you get the occasional 'what one item would you pick yada yada'. A knife always seems to be at the top of the list for most people and I think I've done so myself. But watching this show I'm starting to really lean towards either a simple SS bottle and/or a fire starter of some sort. What I see these folks suffer the most with is dehydration and lack of fire (to ward off insects, cook food if they get it, disinfect water and of course stay warm. Each of these, in the episodes I've watched are a pretty big deal. They get ate up with bites and while that sucks, some have gotten sick. Some have gotten sick from tainted food. Some have gotten sick from non-disinfected water and some have frozen their butts off.

The knife/machete is nice for many tasks but it isn't always a help in collecting and disinfecting water. And while it may be able to give you the tools for a friction fire...rubbing sticks isn't that easy even when you're experienced. Even Cody Lundin, Matt Graham and Les Stroud have choked on fire. And I've seen Cody simply break shards off of a rock for all his cutting needs (well within reason of course).

So my take home is that while a knife is great for many tasks, a clean drink of water and the fire are more necessary. Just thought it was interesting to note this from the show.

Now if I had a Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife that comes with the fire-starter in the sheath I'd be all set as long as I came across a cup/bottle made of metal or glass. Actually I do have both the BG Ultimate and Ultimate Pro and it's a good knife. One thing I wish my Gerber LMF II had in the sheath is a built in ferro rod. I did duct tape one inside for a last ditch piece of gear.

Just tossing stuff out :wavey:
Naked & Afraid - take home message

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels