New Bald Eagle front rifle rest from Bullets.com (Review)

mardi 24 février 2015

Recently bought my first rest. I'm not a bench rest shooter, F class shooter, or competitor otherwise. I have shot some. 0.2-0.4" groups and such, but my fun at this point is from a recreational standpoint and primarily working up good loads. Plan to get into PRS and Desigmated Marksman events this coming year.



I started searching for my first front rest recently and quickly narrowed it down to a Cowan rest or a new Bald Eagle. The Cowan rest is what I would have bought if they took credit cards, as I'm broke at moment. His (Joseph Cowan) rest looks to be an incredible value at $250-ish, but I needed another top, speed screw, and cost quickly got to around $450-500, that I simply didn't have.



Due to finances, I reluctantly went with the aluminum slingshot style Bald Eagle from bullets.com. It was $165 and along with a very nice Bald Eagle rest bag, cost me $200. I read all the mixed reviews here and elsewhere. I spoke with Shiraz regarding some very specific questions about his rest. As I understand it he bought Bald Eagle about 4-5 years back, is a very accomplished F class competitor, and owner of Bullets.com.



It was the smoothest purchase I've made in a long time. The rest was on my door step in four days. The box was in perfect condition and everything within it was simple and intuitively laid out, including great instructions and any tools, T handle Allen, etc.. I opened it up looking for some of the cheapness I read about, some rough machining, something, anything, that would justify the mixed reviews.



It quickly became apparent that people bashing this rest were full of crap. Many potential motivators, maybe after spending $600-1200 on their rest, it just seemed natural to bash a similar item that is a fraction of the price. Honestly, I don't know what motivated people. I took it entirely apart, greased it a bit, carefully reassembled the rest. Installed front bag and went out and had the most enjoyable day at the range ever.



The cross hairs on my Burris Black Diamond 8-32 were eerily steady. I've never seen them so still. I'm not the most accomplished shooter, just a fair shot at best, but I'm improving my skill. I have not had the luxury of shooting on the fancy NEB, Farley, etc rest. Of course they are better, when something cost 10x as much, that is usually the case. I'm going to find a nice Hardigg case on EBay to store and transport my new Bald Eagle. She's going to serve me well for a very long time I suspect.



Might add a Sinclair speed screw, but that's about it. BTW, it will fit threading on aluminum, but not cast iron models. No idea why the threads vary, but it's a quirk I'm willing to overlook. I think Shadetree makes a joystick that can be used on this rest for about $375. Slick product and I may revisit this idea down the road if I justify the need for a joystick. Nice feature I'm sure, but too pricey for me at the moment.



I hate things being outsourced to China. I am a huge fan of older Burris signature and BD scopes, and loathe hearing they are having some scopes made in China. I'm also a fan of $500-700 fly rods, and won't buy any farmed out to overseas manufacturers. My rods are made in Colorado by Scott. So if that alone brings the criticism to the Bald Eagle, I get it. Just as much as the average guy. Big American flag hanging on my garage.



But I will tell you this, if you let people tell you older Bald Eagle rest made in Pennsylvania are great, but the new ones made overseas are junk, you are being misled. Actually, just call it what it is, you are being lied to. This Bald Eagle rest fits together like a Swiss clock and performs flawlessly for a rest at its price point. Carlsbad, or similar name forum member, is selling custom thrush washers to make these and other 3/4" post rest even smoother. Got mine in the other day and can't wait to add it to my Bald Eagle rest.





www.Bullets.com



$165



Get some ;)





Dan







PS, thanks to the several forum members that sent me PM's about their Bald Eagle rest. Saved me ALOT of money.

New Bald Eagle front rifle rest from Bullets.com (Review)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels