Mas suggested I post this here

mardi 24 février 2015

Sorry for the "name dropping" in the title, but Mas really did suggest I post here. I hope this info regarding the Light LEM trigger is of interest to HK users.



I originally posted a question on the CARRY ISSUES board about the Light LEM trigger under the title: "Rather than bug Mas, I came here to ask you guys"



My question was regarding possible legal issues after a self defense shooting with a pistol that had the Light LEM installed. Mas is always advising folks to leave their self defense guns pretty much stock - especially triggers - in order to avoid opposing counsel using modifications or a "hair trigger" as a hook to hang his argument on of why you, the shooter, should go to prison.



It is my understanding that HK LEM pistols sold in the US come as V2 (heavy LEM) and that V1 (Light LEM) is only offered as conversion to the V2 pistols. With Mas's admonitions about light triggers in mind, that Light LEM gave me some concern. Hence the basis for my post.



After a few replies, Mas himself responded with one of his typically logical suggestions; Contact H&K and ask them. Then please post their response, both on CARRY ISSUES and the HK boards.



So, here is a copy of what I posted today over on the CARRY ISSUES board:



A bit long, but here is my email exchange today with HK Customer Service Team regarding conversion to their “Light LEM trigger. i.e. +/- 5.5 pound pull. I had read somewhere else on the net that the trigger was reduced to 4.5 pounds. My original post referenced that incorrect number.



It was a bit of back and forth, mainly because of my poor writing skills, but I finally did get the answer I was hoping for. That indeed, the Light LEM is safe for Duty Use.



My first email to HK was answered in a few minutes, as were subsequent exchanges. Impressive customer service.



==========



Me:

My questions are in regard to the LEM trigger system on my P2000SK 9MM-V2 s/n - (serial # of my pistol).



The P2000SK page of your website states:* “Optional adjustment by an HK certified armorer can bring the trigger pull into the 5.5 pound (24.5 N) range.”



1) Is this optionally lightened trigger still considered safe for “Duty Use” by private citizens and/or Law Enforcement in the USA?



2) Must I send my pistol to H&K for the trigger adjustment by one of your armorers’, or can I purchase the parts and install them myself?



===============



HK:

Ed, the V2 (Standard LEM) can be converted to the V1 (Lt LEM). It is safe but it would be up to the Department to determine if it meets the their own specific requirements. We would recommend sending the gun in to our facility to make the conversion. Please call the below number to set up the RMA. *The cost would be approximately $80 plus return shipping.



===================



Me:

Thanks for the prompt reply.



Sorry, but I should have made myself more clear. I never did very well at english composition. I am a private citizen with a CCW license not LE. I didn’t know what other term to use, that’s why I asked if it is safe for “Duty Use.” May I assume from your response that that lightened trigger is considered appropriate for private citizen use.



As for your recommendation that I send in my gun for the conversion, is that really required? Can’t I install those parts myself?



==============



HK:

Ed, as for as safe to use. All that I can attest to is that it is safe as far as the design. *The actual 'safe to use' would be determined by the amount of training that you have. It is not a 'hair trigger.' We do have many private citizens who prefer the "Lt" LEM.



Although it is not required we always recommend that the gun be sent in for the conversion, especially if you have never worked on a handgun. *Historically, we have had customers who have attempted the installation and then had to send it back to us for installation. Also, it preserves your warranty should anything go wrong after the installation.



============



Me:

Yes, I totally agree with your position regarding the word, “safe” being a function of training. That’s why I had changed my second email to read “appropriate for private citizen use”. Thanks for the clarification. I now have confidence in knowing that the conversion itself will not cause any legal issues should I ever have to use the gun in self defense .



As a U.S. Licensed Aircraft Mechanic, I am very comfortable working on machines, and do have a fair amount of experience with handguns as well. Should I not be able to correctly effect the installation myself, I’ll send the gun to you



===========



HK:

Ed. please call the below number to order the parts that you will need.





HK Customer Service Team

5675 Transport Blvd.

Columbus, GA *31907

Tel: (706) 568-1906

Fax: (706) 568-9151

www.hk-usa.com

Mas suggested I post this here

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels