Good Qual Drill

vendredi 10 avril 2015

I like to keep a record of my shooting skills with my off duty carry gun. My issued guns are qualified every 6 months so work handles that, but my off duty gun is never "scored". I figure it can't hurt to "score" my own qualification. If nothing else, it gives me a good idea of what/where I need to focus my training.



I score it using a Georgia POST approved qualification target (S.Q.T. A-1). The target has one scoring area. Inside that area each round is worth 10 points. Outside the scoring area and in the silhouette is worth 8 points. The target lists it as worth 5 points, but the State of Georgia now scores it as 8 points so I follow their lead.



The qualification/drill is shot at 75 feet, 50 feet, 25 feet, and 15 feet. Five rounds are fired at each distance (20 rounds total). At 75 and 50 feet, all five rounds are fired to the body of the silhouette. At 25 and 15 feet all three rounds are fired at the body and two rounds are fired at the head. Each stage has a maximum time of 5 seconds.



The qualification starts with the pistol in the holster. Draw, move off the X and fire. If you are on a range that won't allow drawing and moving, just start from low ready. This will show you what aspects of your training you need to focus on. Trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture, riding recoil, etc...



The key is not to bring the target back to you after each stage. Start at 75 feet and work it in, looking at it when you're done. Add up all your points and divide by 200 (a perfect score). To me, a passing score is 90 or better. A complete miss is an automatic failure.



I record my scores on a spreadsheet and snap photo of the target and upload it to my Google Drive account. Granted anyone could say you cheated, but if you shoot with a buddy you could video the shoot and save it. Shouldn't take more than 2 minutes a person. That gives you video proof that you did it, and can help you identify any training areas you need to focus on.



In the overly litigious society we live in, could't hurt to be able to demonstrate your ability to properly handle your firearm, should you have the need to do so.



I just ran this for the second time today and punched a 99 (198/200). Food for thought.



[IMG] [/IMG]

Good Qual Drill

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels